Friday, December 14, 2007

It's a Merry Christmas for me!

I just love money, don't you? Imagine my surprise when I saw my Christmas bonus today and it was more than 3 times what I expected! Hell yeah! Bonuses are usually small in my office. This year they decided to reward 3 people (out of 50) with some extra special lovin' for their hard work. And I was one of the special 3!

Of course I don't know what I'll do with the check. Not the money, mind you. The acutal paper check. I usually get direct deposit. I signed up for this dumb payment account with HSBC that doesn't allow you to use the branch. At all. I thought I could deposit it through the ATM and charge everything on my shopping spree this weekend and then make an online payment to Visa. So I drove home on the dreaded Hoosick Street. Took me 45 minutes to make it the 3 miles from the highway to my bank. I swore....a lot.....at all of the New Jersey people traveling up that road at rush hour on their way to their ski weekends in Vermont. I got to the bank and there were no deposit envelopes. None. Not even a slot for one. Now, if you offer these online accounts where you have to transact business through the ATM, how come you don't provide those nifty envelopes? I was PISSED!

I pulled out my cell and called HSBC customer service. I got an American (shock I know) and explained my dilemna. I asked what the quickest way was to get rid of this stupid account and get a regular checking account so I could cash the largest check I have ever received. I think I made this guy's day for the most bizarre phone call of the day. He kept laughing and then apologizing for laughing and then congratulated me on my bonus. But, alas, he could not help me.

I'm going to do a little online shopping. Not sure what I want or need but I just have to celebrate my good fortune SOMEHOW. That cashmere sweater from J Crew I've been drooling over? Mine! Those riding boots on piperlime? Mine! A new ipod? Mine! Mine! Mine!

No comments: